Thursday, September 26, 2024

Haze Over Harpswell



Haze Over Harpswell

8 in. x 10 in., acrylic on masonite panel

$200 framed

A friend visited friends in Harpswell, Maine in August and took in a concert at the bandstand down by the water.  He captured a photo of the hazy afternoon sky, made more intense by wildfire smoke in the atmosphere from Canada. I enjoyed teasing out subtle color and value shifts in the sky and water, quite a feat with acrylic paint, which tends to dry quickly and resist tonal blending.  I used no slow-drying medium to extend the workable window of the acrylic with this painting; instead I mixed my tones beforehand, used a soft brush and worked quickly across the sky.  This piece is quite soft, serious and peaceful in person.  I hope you like it.

 
Reference photo courtesy David Denis.  Follow his photography on Instagram: @near.sight.ed and find prints of his work on INPRNT.com



2 comments: