Monday, December 4, 2023

Jingle All the Way


 


















Jingle All the Way

6 in. x 6 in., acrylic on gallery-wrapped canvas 

$100 unframed (no frame needed)

I've been on a shiny kick lately, appropriate for the Christmas season.  It's a great exercise in creative self-mastery to hold back from punching in the lightest lights (or the whitest whites) until very late in the painting process so that you intentionally work from dark to light.  I find it keeps me from getting ahead of myself to hold the dark and mid-tones within a controlled range until it's time to go in with the lightest of shades, and, of course, titanium white, when there's cause to use it.  The curious little shapes of the reflected colors and lights in the surface of the polished sleigh bells are a scream to paint.  They're just SO WEIRD, and it forces me to have to trust my eyes and simply paint the shapes I see in the colors they are.  It's like a little miracle when they begin to add up to a convincing illusion of real reflective surfaces.  I hope you like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment