Friday, April 14, 2017

Near Mount Tom - SOLD

 
Near Mount Tom ~SOLD (Somebody liked this!)
8 in. x 8 in., acrylic on canvas
$115 (framed)

I enjoy hiking when I have the time and opportunity, and if I can get someone to climb a mountain with me, I'll go.  But my friend Linda has logged serious miles hiking up and down and all around.  Recently, she posted a breathtaking photo from a cool-weather hike, and I fell in love with it.  She generously gave me permission to paint the landscape she captured in her photograph.  This is a portion of her ascent along the Mount Tom, Avalon and Field Loop up near Bretton Woods, New Hampshire.  The silent, frosty calm of the trail disappearing ahead and into the misty trees among the spruce was just asking to be painted.

Sometimes when I paint I listen to theological lectures.  It keeps the right brain working undisturbed by left brain who wants to criticize and backseat drive.  Listening to theology feeds my soul and also give left brain enough ontological meat to chew on so right brain can mix colors, choose brushes and make compositional decisions.  In classic Sesame Street fashion, I'm happy to tell you that this painting has been brought to you by lectures on The Psychology of Atheism, and by the first three parts in a series on Justification.  I hope both Kierkegaard and Luther would have liked this little painting!


No comments:

Post a Comment